February 20, 2008

Thing 2 - What is Web 2.0

Finding time to add a new activity is tough to do. I plan to do some work during slow times at the customer service desk but work requiring more concentration will need to be done at other times and priorities will have to be adjusted to allow for this project.

The Internet is an incredible source of information and fun activities such as shopping and vacation planning. I use it frequently for planning weekend get-aways. I also need to try to keep my husband away from EBay! he has bought everything from volleyball nets, clocks, poop bags (for picking up our dog's you know what), and even our car. Sometimes the convenience of shopping on-line is too convenient!

I do use several Web 2.0 tools to promote the library and the City of Hibbing but only at a very novice level. We are currently using blogs, wikis, Flickr.com, and de.licio.us for the public and I use my Yahoo page to read several RSS feeds. I would like to be able to expand my use of all of these tools.

I have read about the original 23 Things and thought it sounded interesting. I am looking forward to learning about all the new technology available and how it can be adapted to the library. And of course earning a prize is always fun!

No comments: