March 25, 2008

Thing 11 - Tagging & Del.icio.us

I think del.icio.us would be a great tool for teaching or research however, I felt overwhelmed by the volume of links available on the public library sites that were included in the resource section. Having your bookmarks avaiable online would also be a great resource if you traveled between libraries as part of your responsiblities or worked from home.

I have used del.icio.us to set up links about the City of Hibbing at http://del.icio.us/Hibbing sort of a one stop shop for bookmarks on websites related to Hibbing. As a library though I think you would have to be very careful that the links you included were helpful, easy to access, organized and not overwhelming. I think the Menasha Library is a better example with the text descriptions instead of the dewey decimal system the San Mateo library is using as tags.

I also know I had a hard time limiting my tags to one word and I noticed Menasha would put two words together for the tag and it made sense. i.e. popculture

I did look at furl, but I thought the site was a bit slow and was dissapointed that I could search for a tag but could not see what other tags had been attached to a specific article.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I agree using text descriptions rather than Dewey is more user friendly for patrons, who are not all librarians.

Nice resource in the Hibbing bookmarks as well.