March 26, 2008

Thing 13 - Online Productivity Tools

I have been using the "My Yahoo" as a home page for awhile now. I have my page divided into 3 columns, the first is for library related RSS feeds, the middle column has an entertainment focus, and the 3rd is calendars, weather, and other links. It is my homepage on my home computer. It is relatively easy to use, I can sort the topics I am interested in and access it anywhere.

I liked the backpack concept for keeping lists and a calendar on one site. However, I am not willing to pay the minimum account price of $7 a month for that combination.

Both the online calendars and lists would be great for a librarian that worked in several different buildings of for a library staff to share data. I don't believe I would use the list websites myself though, they seemed more time consuming than helpful.

I do like the 30 boxes calendar, it was easy to use and I have added it at the bottom of the blog. It would however, require a change in thinking about how I use a calendar for it to be useful. I am used to the large desk calendar that I can easily scribble on and cross things off even if it is a couple of days later. And it is always in my face at work so I can't ignore it or forget about it!

No comments: